Sound of Charlotte Blog
Originally from Port Angeles, Washington, Hunter Gordon is currently the Charlotte Symphony's Acting Section Bassoon. He holds a master's from Rice University's Shepherd School of Music and both a bachelor's of music and psychology from Oberlin College and Conservatory. Previously Second Bassoon/Assistant Principal of the Symphony of Southeast Texas, Gordon has also appeared with the Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera, Louisiana Philharmonic, and as guest principal of the Jacksonville Symphony. Summer festivals have included the Verbier Festival, Spoleto Festival USA, National Repertory Orchestra, Texas Music Festival, and Round Top Festival Institute.
Hometown: Port Angeles, Washington
Why did you select your instrument?
When I was in 6th grade, my band director lured me into playing bassoon by promoting the fact that no one played it in the entire school, meaning I wouldn't have to pay a rental fee. Even 11-year-old me knew that was a bargain I couldn't pass up. Turns out, it I loved it!
Does your instrument have a special story?
My instrument is a Heckel, built in 1954.
What would most surprise people about you?
I grew up with pet chickens. My sister and I named each of them and tried to train them, but that was a failure.
What's your funniest on-stage moment?
During a concert at a summer festival, I inhaled a bug during a quiet moment and coughed violently for a couple of minutes, causing me to miss several entrances and, in turn, much distress for the conductor.
Any pre-performance rituals?
I drink plenty of water.
Other than your instrument, what would we find in your instrument case?
Various reed-making tools; you never know when you'll need them!
- Meet "Christmastime in Charlotte" composer, Gary Fry
- UNCC student shares why she's voting FOR the quarter-cent sales tax referendum
- 5 Exciting holiday experiences with your CSO this season
- Father and daughter share the stage at Stars, Stripes and Sousa
- Sneak peek: 'Off the Rails' with Kari Giles and Kirsten Swanson
- CSO concerts return to WDAV Classical 89.9
- Meet the women taking the classical world (and your CSO) by storm
- Dr. Samuel C. Davis - Always About the Music
- Our Top 4 insider tips for attending Celebrate America at Symphony Park
- Street Dance meets Classical Music