Sound of Charlotte Blog
Director of Choruses Kenney Potter is busy preparing the 140 singers of the Charlotte Symphony Chorus for performances of Mahler Symphony No. 2 on May 12 and 13. We sat down with Dr. Potter to ask a few questions about the process of preparing for such a massive work.
CS: What moment should audiences listen for in the Charlotte Symphony's performance of Mahler Symphony No. 2?
KP: Wow - there are so many! I think the chorus opening would be my favorite. It is hair-raisingly quiet.
CS: What are the challenges in preparing a 140 person chorus for the Resurrection Symphony?
KP: Speaking of....getting them to sing so quietly at the entrance. Also, it is such a massive work, balancing the chorus and orchestra is always an exciting challenge.
CS: What percentage of the Chorus would you say has participated in it before?
KP: Very few 13 people out of the 140-member chorus, and I've only performed it twice.
CS: How do you connect the singers with the emotions of Mahler's work?
KP: It isn't that difficult to do. You play a recording one time and they are hooked - then they sing it with piano and it gets really exciting. Only when they perform it with the full ensemble do you understand why this piece is so beloved.
CS: What kind of response are you getting from the members of the Chorus about this piece? What makes Mahler 2 different for them?
KP: They seem to be enjoying it, other than the fact that some of them are terrified to sing from memory! The challenge is that it is so physically and musically exhausting, particularly to be such a brief portion of the overall work (roughly 15 minutes).
Mahler Symphony No. 2
Friday, May 12 & Saturday, May 13
8 pm, Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center.
Tickets are available online or by phone at 704-972-2000.
- CSO Musicians Go Totally '80s!
- Meet "Christmastime in Charlotte" composer, Gary Fry
- UNCC student shares why she's voting FOR the quarter-cent sales tax referendum
- 5 Exciting holiday experiences with your CSO this season
- Father and daughter share the stage at Stars, Stripes and Sousa
- Sneak peek: 'Off the Rails' with Kari Giles and Kirsten Swanson
- CSO concerts return to WDAV Classical 89.9
- Meet the women taking the classical world (and your CSO) by storm
- Dr. Samuel C. Davis - Always About the Music
- Our Top 4 insider tips for attending Celebrate America at Symphony Park