Concertmaster Calin Lupanu plays on an 1857 Pierre Silvestre violin. He traveled to many cities - at least 10 - and says he considered about 70 different instruments before coming across the one he would eventually own.
"I knew the moment that I saw it that it was a special violin," says Lupanu. "It was in mint condition and was part of a lady's estate -- she had been a professional violinist and it hadn't been played in over 30 years." He bought the violin from John Montgomery Violins in Raleigh.
Prior to his purchase of the Silvestre, Calin says he performed on a loaner instrument. And, he says, he still has his violin from Romania, where he's originally from, which he plays at outdoor venues.
But he saves the Silvestre for the mainstage. Hear Calin play on his beloved instrument when we feature him, May 17-19, 2019, as a soloist on Ravel's Tzigane.
Sound of Charlotte Blog
December 13, 2018
- SLIDESHOW: Spoon River Anthology
- In Her Own Words: Jirah Montgomery
- Welcoming Back Our Youth Orchestra Musicians
- Meet the Charlotte Symphony’s Newest Musicians, Part I
- Christmas in July? Yes, please!
- SLIDESHOW: Celebrating America
- Celebrate America with Your Charlotte Symphony
- Youth Orchestras Get Back to In-Person Rehearsals
- How Atrium Health Helped Keep the Music Playing
- Welcome Back to the Symphony!