Instruments for Kids
How to Donate
The Charlotte Symphony ignites the passion of children by offering a musical purpose and outlet. Help them realize their potential. The need is critical, and donating is simple. Instrument donations can be made at any Charlotte Symphony concert or at the office, located at First Citizens Bank Plaza, 128 S. Tryon St., Ste. 350, during business hours. Donors are responsible for assigning a value to the instrument for tax deduction purposes.
To donate an instrument, contact:
School Programs Manager
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of instrument should I donate?
- Instruments for Kids is currently accepting donation of all traditional band and orchestra instruments.
What types of instruments are not applicable for donation?
- Because this program will address the needs of local school music programs, we cannot accept electric keyboards, or large instruments that require special transportation at this time. However, if you have a set of timpani you are willing to part with, don't hesitate to contact us! We will also accept some non-orchestral band instruments, such as saxophones, euphoniums, guitars, and electric basses.
Can I donate a piano?
- At certain times we are able to accept pianos. Eligible pianos must be in pristine condition with no significant repairs needed. Interested donors will need to submit several photos of the instrument, including one of the inside (sounding board). Please contact us directly with questions regarding piano donation.
Where can I donate an instrument?
- Drop it off at any CSO Classical series concert or at the CSO office during business hours, located at First Citizens Bank Plaza 128 S. Tryon St., Ste. 350.
Are tax deductions available?
- Yes. You are responsible for assigning a value to the instrument and will receive a receipt at the time of donation.
How will my instrument be used?
- Instruments will be used in Charlotte Symphony education initiatives, such as the after-school music program at Winterfield Elementary, the Youth Orchestra programs, or donated to local school music programs with needs.
I haven't used my trumpet in twenty years; can I still donate it?
- Yes! Even instruments in need of some repairs will be accepted.
What size instrument can I donate?
- All sizes of orchestral instruments will be accepted as long as they don't require special transportation.
May I designate my donated instrument to a specific program?
- Once an instrument is donated, the Charlotte Symphony reserves the right to designate the instrument to the program with the greatest current need.
When can I see my donated instrument in action?
- Most of our education events are open to the public; you can find information about these events on our website, through our social media channels, or by contacting our Education Department directly.