Sound of Charlotte Blog
June 9, 2011
Originally Posted: September 2011Read more
- Animals flew over London Monday in celebration of Pink Floyd's remastered albums.
When pigs fly... Never thought you'd hear rock 'n roll at the Symphony? Or at least, not until pigs fly? Well, yesterday one British porker did. The Music of Pink Floyd will play with the Charlotte Symphony on November 4th. With soaring swine and over a month to go until showtime, who knows what else we can expect before then. Fat ladies singing,perhaps?
- The moderately slow Bolero, a dance that originated in Spain in the 18th century.
- Sun of Spanish Harlem by Latino artist Santiago
- More latin, this time in the form of Charlotte Symphony musicians enacting a Random Act of Culture, a project through the Knight Foundation that states, "Hearing Handel, or seeing the tango in an unexpected place provides a deeply felt reminder of how the classics can enrich our lives... the performances make people smile, dance, grab their cameras even cry with joy. For those brief moments, people going along in their everyday lives are part of a shared, communal experience that makes their community a more vibrant place to live. It's hard to watch what unfolds during a Random Act of Culture®, and not be inspired to see and hear more." (Still hungry? Watch more here.)
- Hypnotic, exotic, even erotic... That's what you can expect from this weekend's musical feast. Listen to our radio clip.
- A powerful message from Cherokee Nation youth: Si Otsedoha (We're Still Here)
- CSO Musicians Go Totally '80s!
- Meet "Christmastime in Charlotte" composer, Gary Fry
- UNCC student shares why she's voting FOR the quarter-cent sales tax referendum
- 5 Exciting holiday experiences with your CSO this season
- Father and daughter share the stage at Stars, Stripes and Sousa
- Sneak peek: 'Off the Rails' with Kari Giles and Kirsten Swanson
- CSO concerts return to WDAV Classical 89.9
- Meet the women taking the classical world (and your CSO) by storm
- Dr. Samuel C. Davis - Always About the Music