Sound of Charlotte Blog
The 27th Annual Youth Festival takes place on April 23. The festival will feature separate performances by the Charlotte Symphony Youth Orchestra (grades 8-12) and Junior Youth Orchestra (grades 4-9), as well as the winner of the Symphony Guild of Charlotte's Young Artist Competition.
Meet Meredith Nelson. She's a senior at Myers Park High School and began her musical career at age two! She joined the Junior Youth Orchestra in seventh grade, and Charlotte Symphony Youth Orchestra (CSYO) as a freshman in high school, She was recently interviewed for Inside Myers Park and here's what she had to say about her musical experiences.
Each week, eighty CSYO musicians from 37 different schools gather together for, unified in our mutual love for music. We weave together our personal techniques and interpretations, and with the help of conductor Dr. Pereira, fit our parts into a complex, yet wonderful musical puzzle. We work together as friends, teachers and students, as we all learn from and teach each other. As my skills have developed, my enjoyment of music has increased.
From our regular season concerts to Festival in the Park, the Summer Pops Concert and our performance in DC, we have played some of the best musical repertoire in wonderful venues.
My most memorable musical moments are playing ensembles with three generations of my family during birthdays and holidays. My sister, Audrey (who plays in the JYO), mother, aunt, grandmother, cousins and I perform for the rest of the family; we sound nowhere near professional, but all truly love to play together. Musical performance is a lifelong pursuit that creates the most wonderful connections and experiences. It's a skill I hope to never lose, but to gain from throughout life.
This article originally appeared in Inside Myers Park, April 2014 edition. Read full story here.
- A peek behind the curtain with General Manager John Clapp
- How your Charlotte Symphony is giving back
- Educating from a distance
- 14 years of passion for arts education & outreach with Chris Stonnell
- A powerful message from Cherokee Nation youth: Si Otsedoha (We're Still Here)
- CSO Musicians Go Totally '80s!
- Meet "Christmastime in Charlotte" composer, Gary Fry
- UNCC student shares why she's voting FOR the quarter-cent sales tax referendum
- 5 Exciting holiday experiences with your CSO this season
- Father and daughter share the stage at Stars, Stripes and Sousa