Sound of Charlotte Blog
Grammy- and Tony- nominated artist Michael Cavanaugh joins us on September 28 & 29 to kick off our Pops series with The Music of Elton John and More. Get to know the Piano Man behind the music below.
1. At age 7, Michael's parents bought their first piano and he began to play. Encouraged by family and friends, he formed his first band at age 10.
2. In 2001 at a performance in Las Vegas, Billy Joel discovered Michael's vast talents and joined him on stage. Afterward, he invited Michael to join him in creating the Broadway musical Movin' Out.
3. Michael was nominated for Tony and Grammy Awards for his work on Movin' Out.
4. After Movin' Out closed in 2005, Michael began touring and quickly became one of the hottest artists in the private events market. He continues to perform worldwide for company and charity events, and at sporting events like the Super Bowl and the Indy 500.
5. In 2008, Michael debuted his first performance with symphony orchestras, The Songs of Billy Joel and More. He soon followed that up with the debut of The Music of Elton John and More in 2010.
- Concertmaster Calin Lupanu chats about his 1857 Pierre Silvestre violin
- Making the Most of Magic of Christmas
- 12 Days of Magic
- Get to Know Composer Gary Fry
- Magic of Christmas 2018
- A guide to Holst's The Planets
- Meet our Guest: Sergej Krylov
- Meet our Guest: Roberto Abbado
- Get to know the Broadway Singers for The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber and More
- Garrick Ohlsson returns to Charlotte