Sound of Charlotte Blog
Concertmaster Calin Lupanu plays on an 1857 Pierre Silvestre violin. He traveled to many cities - at least 10 - and says he considered about 70 different instruments before coming across the one he would eventually own.
"I knew the moment that I saw it that it was a special violin," says Lupanu. "It was in mint condition and was part of a lady's estate -- she had been a professional violinist and it hadn't been played in over 30 years." He bought the violin from John Montgomery Violins in Raleigh.
Prior to his purchase of the Silvestre, Calin says he performed on a loaner instrument. And, he says, he still has his violin from Romania, where he's originally from, which he plays at outdoor venues.
But he saves the Silvestre for the mainstage. Hear Calin play on his beloved instrument when we feature him, May 17-19 as a soloist on Ravel's Tzigane at Ravel Bolero.
- Ravel's Boléro in popular culture
- Meet the Mozart Requiem Soloists
- A message from the Maestro
- Rodgers & Hammerstein: A to Z
- Meet Guest Conductor Gemma New
- Side-by-Side: Concertmasters
- Make it a Girls Night Out!
- Meet China Forbes of Pink Martini
- Meet Jessica Morel, conductor
- Concertmaster Calin Lupanu chats about his 1857 Pierre Silvestre violin